Friday, August 16, 2013

Meet Deseling

Meet Deseling.


He has recently took the place of Teshoma (though no one can replace Teshoma!)
Teshoma moved to Addis Ababa recently with a great opportunity for a job.

Deseling took over his place in the house and took over his shoe shine business.

Sometime the end of 2012 we had received enough money in donations, and set enough aside from our living money to purchase 18 pairs of shoes for the boys.

During this shoe buying 2 pairs went missing right away. It is a true and real example of why we must work with the street kids to build character, and help them grow into men of integrity.

Deseling had gotten a pair of shoes! all the boys chose their shoes that day, and the very next day a crowd of boys came to me exclaiming "Deseling is not part of our club anymore!"

I learned by a series of informants throughout the day, and into the next day that Deseling went and sold his shoes for 50 Bir (They cost about 150 bir). The club understood that this was NOT my money- but the Club Anbesa money.

Deseling used their money.

As the boys first told me, they called out to the tall teenager from down the road. He turned and ran.
He acted like a guilty person.

When the boys would see him working they would chant and shout at him. He had been ostracized.

In the beginning I was a little disappointed in the gentle boy, but afterward, when I saw the team pride of the rest of Club Anbesa I realized- in a weird way- it was a good experience.

Despite his behavior, I knew it was out of desperation and survival on the street that he accepted and then sold the shoes.

I told the boys they had to forgive their friend, and I also publically admitted him back to the Club before I left. I did however suggest he be given some task of proving his trustworthiness.

It is my understanding that his continued participation, and general good behavior has won him the trust of all his friends.

I had the opportunity to use this experience as a lesson on forgiveness, and how Jesus forgives us and gives us a second chance.

Now Deseling is in good standing with Club Anbesa and is working hard and being honest.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment